The African Quality Assurance Network (AfriQAN) has been set up to provide assistance to institutions concerned with Quality Assurance in higher education in Africa. The network is committed to the enhancement of the quality of higher education on the continent and also to collaboration with similar organizations on other continents
The Network has been set up in connection with the Association of African Universities (AAU) and the Global Initiative for Quality Assurance Capacity (GIQAC).
The objectives of AfriQAN are to:
- Promote a culture of quality assurance in higher education in Africa
- Foster collaboration and linkages among quality assurance bodies within Africa;
- Advance good practice in the enhancement and maintenance of quality higher education in Africa;
- Collaborate with quality assurance bodies in Africa in capacity building;
- Facilitate research into the practice of quality assurance in higher education for purposes of improving the quality of higher education in Africa;
- Provide advice and expertise for the development of new national and sub regional quality assurance bodies in Africa;
- Assist members of the Network to articulate standards of institutions operating in member countries;
- Foster harmonization of standards for quality assurance across countries in Africa
- Facilitate international recognition of qualifications to enhance mobility of staff and students in Africa; and
- Promote the interests of Africa in other networks and international organizations with related focus.